Union County Kids Corner is a fun educational resource for the children of Union County. This site will always have fun drawing and coloring projects; connect-the-dot and find-a-word games, and healthy and fun recipes for kids. The Kids Corner will also work in connection with local events, festivals and our very own Saddle Club and Farmers Market by sponsoring coloring contests and other fun activities…..So visit this site often and be a part of the fun!!!!!
January - April 2014 Kids Corner Activity
- Click on one of the coloring links below, Print out the coloring sheet and color. Once completed, submit any colored picture (color your page as best you can) and deliver your masterpiece to one of the county representatives at the Union County Farmer’s Market or the County Commissioner's Office, and receive a free Apple! That’s right…..PRINT, COLOR & HAND DELIVER…..and you receive a FREE Apple! How SWEET is that? Enjoy the new Kids Corner and be on the look out for new activities throughout the year!
Note: Only 1 apple will be given away per drawing. Apples will only be given to children 12 years old or younger.
Confetti Yogurt Pops
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup assorted berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, chopped strawberries)
- 5 pretzel rods; halved, or 10 snack stick crackers
In a large bowl gently stir together the yogurt and fruit. Spoon into 4-oz. ice-pop molds or 3-oz. paper cups. Cover molds with foil; use a knife to cut a small hole in the foil and insert cut side of pretzel rod/snack stick. Freeze until firm. Remove foil and mold before serving. Store up to a month.
Q: What fruit is known as the super fruit?
A: Blueberries. They may be little but they protect the body against sickness and build healthy gums.
- 4 tspn. cocoa powder
- 4 tspn. toasted unsweetened coconut
- 2 small bananas; sliced on the bias
Place cocoa and coconut on separate plates. Roll each banana slice in the cocoa, shake off the excess, then dip in the coconut.
Bananas contain three natural sugars, giving you a substantial boost of energy.
- 4 navel oranges
- 2 Tbs. orange juice
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tspn. ground cinnamon
With a sharp knife, remove rind and white pith from oranges. Cut each into 5 or 6 slices and arrange on 4 plates. Whisk together orange and lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Spoon over the orange slices.
Oranges contain lots of calcium, which helps kids’ bones grow longer and stronger!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwich
- 1 Tbs. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 tspn. honey
- 1/8 tspn. freshly grated orange zest
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 medium strawberries; sliced
Combine cream cheese, honey and orange zest in a bowl. Spread bread with the cheese mixture. Place sliced strawberries on 1 piece of bread and top with the other.
Strawberries are part of the rose family and have an average of 200 seeds per berry.